What is included
Our affordable volunteer programme includes various activities and excursions that will help to make this an adventure etched in your memory for years to come!
A dedicated volunteer coordinator will guide you on your journey from the initial application process, meet you at the airport, provide transport to Gansbaai and assist you with settling into the volunteer accommodation. You will receive a South African SIM card for your mobile phone upon arrival.
Included in the fee:
- Transfer to and from Cape Town airport
- Full orientation and induction upon arrival
- Accommodation in a communal house with amenities; water and electricity
- Cleaning of the volunteer house
- Use of the volunteer car for work-related transport and personal travel
- Your volunteer placement
- Necessary briefing, equipment, clothing and shoes where needed
- 24/7 personal attention and support
- 24 hour emergency medical response in Gansbaai
- Social evenings and cultural activities
- Work experience and reference letters on request
- A Certificate of Recognition upon completion
- Advice and assistance with planning your trip and any further travel arrangements
Activities included in the fee:
Excluded from the fee:
- Volunteer activities include
- Great White Shark Cage Diving or
- Whale Boat trip
- Township experience
- Horse riding
- Guided Milkwood forest walk
- Hiking trail - Witvoetskloof
- Guided Flower Safari drives
- Wine tasting trip
- Beach walks
- Surfing (bring own surfboard)
- Whale watching (land-based)
- Visas (where applicable)
- Health and travel insurance
- Laundry service
- Personal expenses
Please enquire for more information about costs and availability.
Other optional activities in the area:
- Bungee jumping
- Deep sea fishing
- Water skiing
- Big 5 Game Safari
- Trips to Cape Town
Where you stay
You will be staying in a large communal volunteer house in Gansbaai, sharing bedrooms and bathroom facilities (including linen). All rooms are single gender. There is a lounge with an indoor braai (BBQ) facility and TV, large dining room and a fully equipped kitchen with a fridge, stove, oven, microwave, cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils.
The house is centrally located in Gansbaai overlooking the Gansbaai Harbour: 5 minutes’ walk to shops, restaurants and internet cafés, and 15 minutes’ walk to the beach. The volunteer car is available for travelling at night or on weekends.
The working week whilst on the project is Monday to Friday and weekends when requested. Evenings, some mornings and the majority of the weekends are spent at leisure. During the evenings volunteers can relax at the accommodation or take advantage of one of the local bars or restaurants. During weekends you can explore some of the surrounding attractions such as the Overberg, Cape Town, Cape Agulhas, Robertson, Montague or the Garden Route.
Why choose us?
We understand that you are offering your time and dedication in volunteering during a student or career break; we will provide the best possible service to accommodate your needs. Our staff are committed to and passionate about their work, and value you as volunteer.
- The Foundation is a NGO that promotes social change through its various projects. A number of independent research studies have shown that our programmes directly benefit the individuals and the communities and that it is making a difference.
- We offer great value with no hidden costs. Our programmes are very affordable, please enquire about costs
- We are flexible on arrival and departure dates (minimum 2 month stay)
- 24/7 in-country support
- A volunteer vehicle shared by volunteers is available for personal use
- Malaria-free area